NEW CANAAN, Conn. – Is the New Canaan Post Office closing its doors? A banner above the post office, located at 2 Pine St., indicates the location is a space for rent.
The sign is in place because the postal service’s lease for the space is up in early 2014 and a new lease has yet to be signed, New Canaan Postmaster Nancy Cornelio said.
Cornelio said she’s not involved in the negotiations but knows the postal service and the building's owner, Elm Street Partners, have been in talks for a while.
“The lease is coming up, and the sign is on the wall because it’s a business and they have every right to put up a sign,” she said. “I’m sure the people of the community of New Canaan will put forth a voice to keep us as close to their hearts and businesses as possible.”
Users of the Post Office told The New Canaan Daily Voice they hope the post office stays in town, saying it offers a convenience for residents who would rather not travel to Stamford or Norwalk to send packages.
“It’s sad,” said Kelly Smith, 29, of New Canaan, though she admits she does not send many packages through the post office. “I’m sure it would be a concern.”
- 1 Police: Drunk N.H. Man With Loaded Handgun Arrested At Gunpoint In Stamford
- 2 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 3 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 4 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 5 New Canaan, Celebrate Memorial Day With Local Parades