NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- Looking for bargains? Or hoping to enjoy a day in a quaint downtown? New Canaan has what you are seeking as it hosts its annual Village Fair & Sidewalk Sale.
The Village Fair & Sidewalk Sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on July 19, with more than 100 merchants and vendors taking part and selling items under the sun.
Sponsored annually for nearly 50 years by the Chamber of Commerce, the event has roots in the 1920s, when merchants put their wares on the sidewalks for sale.
The fair offers residents and visitors an action-packed, bargain-filled, entertaining, and delicious way to spend a summer day, says the Chamber.
Some shops in downtown do a little inventory spring cleaning, with deep discounts offered, but some merchants have ordered their customers’ favorite items to be sold at discounted prices for just that day, according to the Chamber.
The event will be held on Elm Street from Main to Park, Main Street from Burtis to East and Forest Street, with the whole area becoming a pedestrian mall and closed to vehicular traffic.
All cars, vans and delivery vehicles must deliver, drop off goods and leave the area by 7:30 a.m.
No alcoholic beverages will be served on the street at this family-friendly event.
Some of the entertainment and fun offered will be:
- Face Painting for the Kids
- Adventure Entertainment Fun For All, courtesy of Karl Chevrolet
- School of Rock, inspiring kids to rock on stage and in life
- The Great Scirico, sponsored by People’s United Bank
- The Money Machine, courtesy of Bankwell
- Drawings and prizes for all at the Chamber of Commerce tent.
Al Fresco Food Court dining will be featured in the Pop Up Park. Stop by for some food from the featured vendors:
- Boulevard 18
- Fjord Fishers
- South End
For more information and a full list of vendors, visit the chamber's website.
- 1 McDonald's Shakes Up Menu, Cuts Seven Sandwiches
- 2 Rain, Thunderstorms Could Be Coming To New Canaan
- 3 Fairfield County Home Renovated By 'Property Brothers' Holds Open House
- 4 New Canaan Restaurant Joins UB Fundraiser To Help Quake Victims In Nepal
- 5 New Canaan's Voices Of September 11th Plans Golf Outing