WESTPORT, Conn. – Sherwood Island State Park in Westport will be hosting a vareity of activities on Saturday, June 28, starting at 4 p.m. for the nature lovers of Fairfield County.
Informative and hands-on activities include Life Under the Sea, Purple Martins in the air and Tuttie The Turtle, followed by a lecture about seaweed farming.
Here is the schedule of events:
- 4 p.m. – East Beach, Seining (drag fishing): Join Nature Center staff members and summer interns on the beach and in the water to discover underwater life. Crabs, oysters and other sea life will be examined.
- 4:15 p.m. – Purple Martin Gourd Complex: The nests will be brought down for observation and count of the newly hatched fledglings. Cameras welcome.
- 4:25 p.m. – Inside the Nature Center: Tuttie the Turtle will be introduced to her newly created waterscape habitat. The 18-year-old turtle has been in an aquarium for years and will now have a new home due to the donations from Dietter’s Water Garden in North Haven.
- 4:30 p.m. – Guest Speaker Dr. Jang Kim of the University of Connecticyt's Department of Marine Sciences, will be discussing, “Seaweed Farming: A CT Cash Crop, From the Underwater Garden to Your Table to Your Toothpaste.” Kim’s lecture will be held at the Nature Center at East Beach.
Sherwood Island State Park is located off Exit 18 Interstate 95. All events are open to the public and are free. Park admission fees apply.
- 1 15 With Ties To Fairfield County Make Forbes List Of Billionaires
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In New Canaan
- 3 New Canaan Could See Up To 6 Inches Of Snow In New Storm
- 4 Snow Could Be Returning To New Canaan Tuesday
- 5 Plane Skids Off Runway At LaGuardia Airport, All Flights Diverted