FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Anyone who complains that there isn't anything to do in Connecticut clearly aren't living--or partying--in Stamford, Norwalk, Greenwich or Westport, which were all recently named in the Top 10 most exciting places in the state, according to movoto.com .
Movoto created the list by ranking all communities with 10,000 or more people and used census date to find:
- Nightlife per capita (bars, clubs, comedy spots, etc.)
- Live music venues per capita
- Active life options per capita (parks, outdoor activities, etc.)
- Arts and Entertainment per capita (movie theaters, festivals, galleries, theaters, etc.)
- Fast food restaurants per capita (the fewer the better)
- Percentage of restaurants that are not fast food (the higher the better)
- Percentage of young residents ages 18 to 34 (the higher the better)
- Population density (the higher the better)
Each of the 38 communities in the state were then ranked based on their scores in each category.
Stamford was the top finisher for Fairfield County in a tie for fourth place due to its nightlife such as the Beer Garden at Harbor Point, entertainment venues including the Palace Theatre and a high concentration of restaurants versus fast-food joints.
Norwalk placed seventh thanks to its high volume of arts and culture activities, active lifestyle and fine dining at places such as Valencia Luncheria.
Greenwich clocked in at No. 9 thanks to arts venues such as the Bruce Museum and for its high concentration of local, non-fast food restaurants such as Thai Basil and Elm Street Oyster Bar.
Westport rounded out the Top 10 thanks to events such as the Westport Fine Arts Festival, and busy entertainment venues, including the Westport Country Playhouse.
Overall, New Haven topped Movoto's list of most exciting places in Connecticut, followed closely by New London.
Trumbull ranked last at No. 38, according to Movoto.