It's time to put on elastic waist pants, table your opinions and give thanks for a day when overeating is not only allowed, it's expected.
What are you most thankful for?
Parents, extended family
The original 1621 harvest meal was held over three days, but modern Thanksgiving is just a mere few hours.
The average Thanksgiving meal is about 3,000 calories, with 563 grams in the form of carbohydrates and 229 grams of fat, according to plexusworldwide.com .
It's no surprise people pack on some pounds over the holidays. Walking at a moderate pace for an hour burns just 156 calories, according to calorielab.com . Running ups the burn to 476.
But don't let a few pounds stop all the fun of overindulging. After all, the cook went through a lot of time and money to bring on the banquet. Here are some other fun facts from History.com :
- The average cost of Thanksgiving dinner for 10 is about $50 and takes around seven hours to prepare.
- About 46 million turkeys are sold for Thanksgiving, or about 690 million pounds.
- About 88 percent of Americans have turkey on Thanksgiving.
- The sweet potato was the most popular Thanksgiving side dish vegetable in 2010.
- The most popular pie served on Thanksgiving is pumpkin or apple.
- About 84.3 million people will watch football on Thanksgiving
- People surveyed are most thankful for friends, followed by family and then health.
Let us what you're most thankful for.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.