FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. --The Norwalk River Valley Trail will mark National Trails Day and Connecticut Trails Day Weekend with two events on Saturday, June 7.
In Norwalk, volunteers will lead a hike along the Norwalk River on existing and proposed NRVT sections. In Wilton, trail supporters are invited to clear brush between Raymond Lane and Sharp Hill Road in preparation for the imminent start of construction on the second section of the “Wilton Loop."
The first section of the Loop, running from Route 7 up to Raymond Lane, was officially opened on April 26. The first section also serves as the NRVT “demo trail” for all five towns involved in the project.
The NRVT project aims eventually to build 38 miles of multi-purpose trail connecting Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk to Rogers Park in Danbury, passing through Wilton, Ridgefield, and Redding on the way.
TRAILS DAY EVENTS DETAILS:
- NORWALK HIKE, Saturday, June 7, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m: A moderate-level hike on both improved and unimproved NRVT through urban woodlands along the Norwalk River from Mathews Park to Deering Pond (3 miles). Participants will gain firsthand experience of an existing portion of the NRVT and walk Norwalk’s top priority for new trail. Wear long pants, long sleeves and sturdy shoes. Meet leader Jim Carter at the kiosk near the parking lot of Mathews Park and Lockwood Matthews Mansion (295 West Ave.). Rain cancels. Questions: Call Jim Carter at 203-682-3000.
- WILTON TRAIL-CLEARING: Saturday, June 7, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m; the work will involve hauling cut brush, pole-sawing, leaf-blowing, and weed-wrenching. Tools will be provided, but volunteers may also bring their own. Volunteers should wear long pants and long sleeves, sturdy shoes, and bring work gloves. Water provided. Meet at Autumn Ridge Road off Sharp Hill Road at 9 a.m. It is a small neighborhood road, so carpooling is appreciated. Questions: Email Patricia Sesto at Patricia.Sesto@wiltonct.org or call 203-563-0180.
Rob McWilliams is an avid hiker who lives in Fairfield County. His hiking blog is online.
- 1 New Canaan Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 2 Disabled Vehicle Cleared From Snow-Covered Merritt Parkway In New Canaan
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits New Canaan
- 4 15 With Ties To Fairfield County Make Forbes List Of Billionaires
- 5 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48