NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Brian Douglas Williams!
Williams, who owns a home in New Canaan, turns 55 on Monday. The NBC television news anchor and editor was born May 5, 1959, in Elmira, N.Y.
Williams first worked in broadcasting in 1981 at KOAM-TV in Pittsburg, Kan. The following year, he covered news in the Washington, D.C., area at TV station WTTG, then worked in Philadelphia for WCAU, then a CBS affiliate. Beginning in 1987, he was in New York City at WCBS.
He joined NBC News in 1993, where he anchored the national "Weekend Nightly News" and was chief White House correspondent before serving as anchor and managing editor of "The News With Brian Williams," which was broadcast on MSNBC and CNBC.
He became anchor of "NBC Nightly News" on Dec. 2, 2004, and his first year in that post was marked by coverage of two disasters: the Asian tsunami and Hurricane Katrina. His work helped earn NBC a Peabody Award. He also earned the George Polk Award for the extensive coverage of the hurricane.
He frequently appears on "The Daily Show" as a celebrity guest, interviewed by Jon Stewart, and the "Weekend Update" segment of "Saturday Night Live."
He regularly appears on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon," "Late Show With David Letterman" and "Late Night With Conan O'Brien."
- 1 New Canaan Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 2 Disabled Vehicle Cleared From Snow-Covered Merritt Parkway In New Canaan
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits New Canaan
- 4 15 With Ties To Fairfield County Make Forbes List Of Billionaires
- 5 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48