NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Terry Hanratty!
Terrence Hugh "Terry" Hanratty, who has owned a home in New Canaan, turns 66 on Sunday. The footballer was born January 19, 1948, in Butler, Pennsylvania, United States.
Hanratty led the University of Notre Dame at quarterback to the 1966 national championship. He and Jim Seymour, Notre Dame's star wide receiver that year, were featured on the cover of Time magazine on Oct. 28, 1966.
Hanratty played in the National Football League during the 1960s and 1970s and was selected in the second round of the NFL Draft in 1969 by the Steelers' head coach, Chuck Noll as the starting quarterback. He was later selected in the 1976 expansion draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
He earned two Super Bowl rings as the backup quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
He finished his career with 2,510 passing yards, 24 touchdown passes, and 35 interceptions. He completed 38 percent of his pass attempts, which led to an overall quarterback rating of 43.0.
Following his retirement from football he worked as a stock broker for many years and currently coaching his daughter's championship softball team.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over New Canaan Skies Sunday
- 2 Death Of Christopher Crowley Of Maker & Company Tops New Canaan Week’s News
- 3 Stamford Woman Dies After Being Hit By SUV On Hope Street
- 4 New Canaan Police: Elderly Man Is Victim Of 'Distraction' Burglary
- 5 New Canaan Will See Big Drop In Temperature This Weekend