DANBURY, CONN. -- Former Western Connecticut State University student and Connecticut native Matthew Grills will perform on the international stage with his recent agreement to sing as a featured young artist with the Bavarian State Opera in Germany.
"I've never lived in a foreign country so Munich will be a challenging and completely new experience, but I’m so excited about the opportunities it will bring,” Grills said in a statement.
The contract arrangement with the renowned opera company in Munich for the 2013-14 season marks the latest in a series of achievements for Grills. The New Canaan resident was the winner of the 2012 Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions.
Grills' winning performance in the semifinals and the grand finals concert, held at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, earned him a $15,000 award and invaluable exposure at an event that annually draws leading opera and music industry professionals to hear emerging new singers.
Grills also earned the $15,000 first prize in the 2012 Lotte Lenya Competition at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, N.Y., for outstanding singing and acting performance in repertory ranging from opera to musical theater.
- 1 New Canaan Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For New Canaan With Snow, Ice In Forecast
- 3 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 4 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward New Canaan, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow