WILTON, Conn. -- Farmers markets are a summer staple as people look to picked out fresh fruit and vegetables as well as baked goods, finding alternatives to the grocery store chains while supporting local businesses. Wilton is no exception to this trend.
Aug. 3 to 9 is National Farmers Market Week, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In Wilton, the farmers market runs at the Wilton Historical Society at 224 Danbury Road. It's held every Wednesday from 12:30 to 5 p.m. and will end on Oct. 1.
Michelle Tartaglio, of Stratford, was staffing the Oronoque Farms Bakery & Boutique at the Wilton Farmers Market this week. She said it's a way for the Shelton-based company to sell more of its products and to promote the business.
Many people who would not ordinarily have heard of the business or visited its Shelton location have the chance at the farmers market to purchase its pies and other products, she said.
Looking for a farmers market? Here's a list of ones in the area:
- Danbury's farmers market runs until Oct. 31 on Fridays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Main Street at Kennedy Park.
- Darien's farmers market runs until Christmas on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Municipal parking lot across from Goodwives Shopping Center.
- Fairfield's farmers market runs until the end of October on Saturdays from 11 a.m.to 4 p.m. 75 Hillside Road.
- Georgetown's farmers market runs until Oct. 26 on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 4 Old Mill Road.
- Greenwich's farmers market runs until Thanksgiving on Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Arch Street and Horseneck Lane.
- Old Greenwich's Farmers Market is on Wednesdays from 2:30 to 6 p.m. at 38 West End Ave., at the Presbyterian Church of Old Greenwich.
- New Canaan's farmers market runs until Nov. 22 on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Old Center School parking lot.
- Rowayton's farmers market runs until October on Fridays from noon to 5 p.m. at Pinkney Park. 177 Rowayton Ave.
- Stamford's farmers market runs until Oct. 25 on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Bedford Street and Forest Street. The Stamford Museum and Nature Center farmers market runs until Oct. 5 on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Weston's farmers market runs until Aug. 30 on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Route 57 and High Acre Road.
- Westport's farmers market runs until Nov. 6 on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 50 Imperial Ave.
- Wilton's farmers market runs until October on Wednesdays from 12:30 to 5 p.m. 224 Danbury Road.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 New Canaan Could See New Round Of Thunderstorms
- 5 Heavy Rain Headed To New Canaan, Thunderstorms Possible