NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- The death of a 71-year-old New Canaan Department of Public Works employee last month marked the fourth fatal pedestrian accident in New Canaan in the last 10 years, according to the New Canaan Advertiser.
Benjamin Olmstead was marking roads with spray paint at the intersection of New Norwalk Road and East Avenue when he was struck by a car on July 23. He died of his injuries a day later at Norwalk Hospital.
Although most accidents involving pedestrians happened within the business district of the village, the four fatal incidents in the last decade took place away from New Canaan's busiest area downtown area, the New Canaan Advertiser reported.
Three of the four deaths occurred on state roadways: South Avenue (Routes 106 and 124) Oenoke Ridge (Route 124) and last month's accident on New Norwalk Road and East Avenue, the New Canaan Advertiser said.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over New Canaan Skies Sunday
- 2 Death Of Christopher Crowley Of Maker & Company Tops New Canaan Week’s News
- 3 New Canaan Will See Big Drop In Temperature This Weekend
- 4 Stamford Woman Dies After Being Hit By SUV On Hope Street
- 5 New Canaan Police: Elderly Man Is Victim Of 'Distraction' Burglary