NEW CANAAN, Conn. – New Canaan officials have asked residents in low-lying areas of town to voluntarily evacuate as Hurricane Sandy approaches Connecticut.
Emergency Management Director Mike Handler issued a statement Saturday warning residents that the storm, expected to arrive in the state on Sunday evening, will knock down numerous trees and wires and power may be gone in town for 10 to 14 days.
“The office of emergency management is encouraging all residents in low-lying areas near the Silvermine and Rippowam rivers to voluntarily evacuate inland. Now is the time to make arrangements to stay with friends or relatives in less affected areas,” Handler said in a statement posted to the town’s emergency management Facebook page..” A decision on mandatory evacuation orders will be made tomorrow.”
Handler said early indications are that Sandy will be similar to “a prolonged nor’easter with unprecedented rainfall and high winds over a 36 to 48-hour period.” Handler said First Selectman Robert Mallozzi III will likely issue a state of emergency for the town if weather patterns do not significantly shift on Sunday. Gov. Dannel Malloy issued a state of emergency earlier in the day.
New Canaan Public Schools Superintendent Mary Kolek said Saturday that no decision has been made on closing schools yet. She expects to make a decision on Sunday after consulting with the emergency management officials.
Check back with The New Canaan Daily Voice for more information on Hurricane Sandy.To notify us of store closings and cancellations or postponement of events, email Melvin Mason at firstname.lastname@example.org.