NEW CANAAN, Conn. — A 57-year-old New Canaan man who police said supplied his son with the heroin that caused his fatal overdose pleaded not guilty in court Friday to second-degree manslaughter, according to the Stamford Advocate.
Mark Lynch, who made his plea Friday in Stamford Superior Court, will appear in court again Jan. 19, according to the Advocate.
Lynch was charged with second-degree manslaughter, possession of narcotics and sale of drugs when he was arrested Nov. 23.
New Canaan police said he exhibited "extreme recklessness" in sharing his own stash of heroin with his son, Chris, 25, who was struggling to kick his drug habit when he died Sept. 25.
New Canaan police officers and the New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps responded to a call at 7:22 a.m. on Sept. 25 to Mark Lynch's home at 2 Parade Hill Road, Apt. A,, where they found Chris Lynch unresponsive in bed and not breathing, police said.
He was declared dead five minutes later, police said.
Mark Lynch told officers that he had given his son heroin the night before and handed over four folds of heroin from the nightstand next to his bed, where he had let Chris Lynch fall asleep, police said.
However, Mark Lynch later retracted his statement that the heroin was his and instead said it belonged to Chris Lynch, the arrest warrant said.
The State Medical Examiner's Office ruled that Chris Lynch had died of acute heroin intoxication, police said.
"Mark Lynch, without doubt, knew of his son's drug therapy and counseling and knew of all the reports of how well his treatment was going," the arrest warrant said.
"That as far as all/he was concerned, his son was clean, sober, and beginning to turn his life around at the time of his arrival in Connecticut. That Mark Lynch, with extreme recklessness, did disregard these facts and instead of telling his own son to stay away from him — because he himself was not well and he would seriously endanger his son's recovery and treatment — did the exact opposite," and provided his son with heroin, the arrest warrant said.
Click here to read the story at the Stamford Advocate website.