NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- New Canaan mother Mary Fetchet considers the use of her son's voice shortly before his death on Sept. 11 in the opening of the film "Zero Dark Thirty" to be a violation to her family and disrespectful to all those who died on 9/11.
"The violence in the film is not in Brad's best image," she told The New Canaan Daily Voice.
Fetchet's son Bradley, who worked on the 89th floor of the south tower, is one of several victims who can be heard in a montage of voice messages that open the film. Bradley's voice is heard in a message left to his mother on her answering machine.
"I was shocked that a film company would take the liberty to include Brad's message to me in a controversial profit-making film," said Fetchet, who founded the New Canaan-based group Voices of September 11 . She said she had no idea her son's voice would be used in the film until she heard the news from a friend.
"I feel very strongly that we should have been contacted in advance," she said. "That message tells his story, it tells our story and why we started Voices of September 11 and the work that it has done, which continues to grow today."
She said she reached out to several other family members whose loved ones' voices were used in "Zero Dark Thirty," and none had been contacted for permission or warned. Fetchet said that if she had been asked for permission, she would have said no.
Fetchet got in contact with screenwriter and producer Mark Boal, who she said had no real explanation for why he used the voices, and Sony Pictures, the distributor. After finding out that the voices could not be removed from the film, she said the company should apologize, mention the victims in the credits and on the DVD, and make donations to organizations that help victims and their families.
Fetchet said she's worried that something similar could happen to the families of victims such as the Newtown shooting. "I want to make sure this never happens again," she said.