NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- New Canaan officials will review safety improvements to a street corner near downtown after a Department of Public Works employee was killed after he was hit by a truck on Wednesday, July 23, according to the New Canaan News.
Benjamin Olmstead, 71, was spray-painting markings at the intersection of New Norwalk Road and East Avenue when he was struck by a vehicle. He later died at Norwalk Hospital as a result of his injuries.
First Selectman Robert Mallozzi said town officials would meet to discuss ways to improve safety at the intersection even though both roads are supported and run by the state, the New Canaan News reported.
The same intersection has been the site of an earlier traffic-related fatality. More than 23 years ago, a pregnant woman was struck and killed along with her baby at the same crossing, the New Canaan News said.
- 1 $22K In Jewelry Reported Stolen From New Canaan Home
- 2 New Canaan Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 3-Year-Old At Wife's Day Care
- 3 New Map Shows Lyme Disease Risk
- 4 Police ID Homeless Man Whose Legs Were Found Near New Haven Train Station
- 5 New Canaan Allstate Agent Michael Saunders Honored For Service