NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- The U.S. Postal Service says it has not forgotten a commitment it made to New Canaan.
The New Canaan Post Office will be relocating from its office at 2 Pine St. by January, the postal service confirmed in September. The USPS previously proposed relocating the retail services provided at the New Canaan Post Office to a yet to-be-determined location within the 06840 ZIP code area.
USPS officials released a statement recently reminding residents that the commitment to New Canaan has not been forgotten.
"It has come to the attention of the Postal Service that there is some concern about our commitment to keep postal operations in the New Canaan community as we proceed with due diligence on specific sites, such as the site at 19 Vitti St.," USPS representatives said in the statement.
"As the community has indicated, we are committed to serving New Canaan in the downtown area. Upon further consideration, the Vitti Street location cannot be configured to accommodate the number of work stations we need to service our customers here.
"We continue to search for both an appropriate location for a short-term trailer to be positioned until a long-term location can [be] secured and upgraded for postal purposes. Concerns that we have backed out of our commitment to New Canaan are ill-informed."
- 1 New Canaan's Gates Restaurant Serving Up Last Meals Under Old Owners
- 2 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teenage Girl
- 3 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 4 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In New Canaan
- 5 'I Am A Woman,' Newtown High School Graduate Jenner Says In 20/20 Interview