NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- The following is a message from Mike Handler, emergency management director of New Canaan.
I have confirmed with the State that there is no concern over fuel shortages—both diesel and gasoline will be available.
We anticipate that power restoration will begin this weekend. Given the extent of the damage, restoration will not be easy. Given the colder temperatures, we urge you to seek overnight shelter at the New Canaan YMCA. We have had too many emergency calls related to carbon monoxide exposure. Fire Marshal Fred Baker has the following safety suggestions:
• Make sure your fireplace flue is fully open prior to lighting fires.
• Artificial logs, like dura-flame, must be used one at a time.
• Use screens or glass doors to protect against flying embers.
• Be sure the fire dies down before going to bed for evening.
• Dispose of ashes in a proper metal disposal can with lid and place outside away from combustibles—not on wood decks, porches or garages.
• Make sure you have functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
• Never leave candles burning when room is unoccupied.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the EOC at (203) 594-4100. Thank you.