DANBURY, Conn. -- The Hearst Media Services Regional Spelling Bee held at Danbury's Western Connecticut State University ended amid controversy last week, according to The Hartford Courant.
Problems began when the moderator of the competition exhausted all of the words from the list and began choosing words from the dictionary, the Courant said. In certain instances, she mispronounced the word, could not provide country of origin or was unable to use it in a sentence, The Courant said.
The bee ran almost until almost midnight, and left competitors and parents upset, The Courant reported.
- 1 New Canaan Police Arrest Driver After High-Speed Chase
- 2 Elderly Woman Mauled By Dog Dies At Bridgeport Hospital
- 3 Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Ann Curry
- 4 New Canaan, Darien Ranked 1-2 By MaxPreps As Football Title Game Nears
- 5 Lack Of Safety Precautions Cited In Death Of New Canaan DPW Employee