NEW CANAAN, Conn. – Joan H. Ballots, a resident of New Canaan for more than 50 years, died Dec. 6 at her home. She was 80.
Ballots was a past member of the New Canaan Town Council. She worked as a physical education teacher at Saxe Middle School for 35 years. This past year, she was named an honorary member of the New Canaan Country Club.
Born Jan. 2, 1932, in Philadelphia, she was the daughter of Harry and Helen Tracy Hessdorfer. She was married to Dr. John Ballots, who died in 1989. She received a bachelor's degree from Temple University in 1953.
In 1995, Ballots was named to Temple University's Board of Trustees, a position she held until her death. An avid golfer, she also dedicated much of her time to the Coaches vs. Cancer Foundation.
Ballots is survived by her extended family and many close friends.
A memorial service will be held at noon Friday at First Presbyterian Church of New Canaan. Burial will be private at Lakeview Cemetery. Hoyt Funeral Home is handling arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Temple University Owl Fund, Development Office, Philadelphia, PA 19122.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 July 4 Terror Threat 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 4 New Canaan Could See New Round Of Thunderstorms
- 5 Storms Could Cause Street, Highway Flooding In New Canaan