WOODBURY, Conn. - Walter J. Jaykus of Woodbury, formerly of New Canaan, died Thursday, Feb. 20. He was 78.
Jaykus was born in New Canaan, the son of Walter and Nellie Jackson Jaykus. He attended New Canaan High and left to serve in the U.S. Navy during the Korean Conflict. He joined the New Canaan Police Department in 1962 and served 26 years, achieving the rank of lieutenant. He was a master craftsman.
Jaykus is survived by his wife, Janet A. Jaykus; children, Pamela Bell (Ed), Walter Jr, (Janet) and Michelle Peck; siblings, Rosemarie Petronella, Maryann Matthews (Bernard), Michael Jaykus (Imogene), Joseph Jaykus (Margaret) and Paul Jaykus; stepchildren, Maryann Kiernan, Ellen Kiernan, John Kiernan (Patty), Thom Kiernan (Marie), Loraine Cordes (Robert), Susan Kiernan, Frank Kiernan (Lee Anne) and Steven Kiernan (Daria); and seven grandchildren, 17 step-grandchildren and two step-great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his parents and brother George.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Monday, Feb. 24, at 10 a.m. in St Aloysius Church, New Canaan.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps or the Woodbury Ambulance Association.
For more information, please visit: www.hoytfuneralhome.com.
- 1 July 4 Terror Threat 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 2 Former Stamford Resident Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust In Japan
- 3 New Facebook Scam Could Cost You
- 4 Passengers Stranded For Hours Overnight On Metro-North's New Haven Line
- 5 Storms Could Cause Street, Highway Flooding In New Canaan