WOODBURY, Conn. - Walter J. Jaykus of Woodbury, formerly of New Canaan, died Thursday, Feb. 20. He was 78.
Jaykus was born in New Canaan, the son of Walter and Nellie Jackson Jaykus. He attended New Canaan High and left to serve in the U.S. Navy during the Korean Conflict. He joined the New Canaan Police Department in 1962 and served 26 years, achieving the rank of lieutenant. He was a master craftsman.
Jaykus is survived by his wife, Janet A. Jaykus; children, Pamela Bell (Ed), Walter Jr, (Janet) and Michelle Peck; siblings, Rosemarie Petronella, Maryann Matthews (Bernard), Michael Jaykus (Imogene), Joseph Jaykus (Margaret) and Paul Jaykus; stepchildren, Maryann Kiernan, Ellen Kiernan, John Kiernan (Patty), Thom Kiernan (Marie), Loraine Cordes (Robert), Susan Kiernan, Frank Kiernan (Lee Anne) and Steven Kiernan (Daria); and seven grandchildren, 17 step-grandchildren and two step-great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his parents and brother George.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Monday, Feb. 24, at 10 a.m. in St Aloysius Church, New Canaan.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps or the Woodbury Ambulance Association.
For more information, please visit: www.hoytfuneralhome.com.
- 1 New Canaan Mom Looks To Raise Lyme Disease Awareness Through Field Hockey
- 2 Former Connecticut Gov. John Rowland Found Guilty Of Conspiracy
- 3 Wilton Police Arrest 15-Year-Old In Swastika Incident At High School
- 4 Open Houses In New Canaan This Weekend
- 5 New Canaan Could See Overnight Showers Heading Into Last Day Of Summer