NEW CANAAN, Conn. - The following is a letter from New Canaan Fire Marshal Fred Baker.
With warm weather and family events, the Fourth of July can be a fun time with great memories. But before your family celebrates this year, the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office wants to make sure everyone knows about fireworks safety.
• Only sparklers and “shower” type fireworks are legal to sell and use in Connecticut. No aerial or exploding type fireworks are permitted to be sold or used in the state. (Go to the Family Fourth – you will see a tremendous professional show!)
• Only people 16 years and older may use the above fireworks.
• Always keep fireworks at least 30 feet away from spectators and structures.
• Make sure you are in a clear, open area with no dried vegetation or other combustibles that can easily ignite.
• Never lean over a display when igniting.
• Always have a garden hose or bucket of water available.
• If a display fails to discharge (a dud), NEVER look into it or pick it up – let it sit and then dunk it in a pail of water.
• Be mindful of neighbors and their safety.
• Remember, most pets are terrified of fireworks, so take necessary precautions to keep them safe.
• Be extremely careful with sparklers. The metal sticks become red hot and can cause severe burns. Have a bucket of water available to dunk them in when they have expired.
• Never ignite fireworks while holding them – always have a level, stable surface to set them on.
• Don’t throw used fireworks directly in the trash. Keep them in a separate noncombustible container for at least 24 hours or soak them in a bucket of water to make sure there are no hot embers.
For any questions regarding fireworks or any other fire safety questions, please contact the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office at 203-594-3030. Have a happy and safe Fourth of July.
- 1 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 2 New Canaan, Celebrate Memorial Day With Local Parades
- 3 Updated Memorial Day Forecast Brings Good News For Fairfield
- 4 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 5 Memorial Day Thunderstorm Chance, Enhanced Fire Risk In Fairfield