NEW CANAAN, Conn. — With the threat of Hurricane Sandy before us, it is a good time to review generator safety. Past experiences show that many residents have generators at their homes, but if not installed and used properly, they can pose a serious threat. The primary hazard is carbon monoxide poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust. During past power outages, the fire department has responded to calls for CO alarms sounding and found deadly levels of carbon monoxide traced to operating generators.
The Following is a list of do’s and don’ts for portable and stationary generator use and installation:
• Make sure that a building permit has been obtained from the building department for the installation of a standby generator.
• Close all windows adjacent to the generator to prevent toxic fumes from entering the home.
• Never store anything on or around the generator. Obstacles could interfere with the proper, safe operation.
• If you have a portable generator (one that you have to start and hook-up manually), never run it inside the garage or other enclosed spaces – even with the doors open – they MUST be outside.
• Never refuel a generator while it is running. The unit must be shut down and allowed to cool before refueling.
• Always have properly operating CO detectors installed in your home in addition to smoke detectors.
• Have your back-up power system serviced by a certified contractor annually to insure proper operation – when it is needed most.
• Always insure proper electrical hook-up to prevent back-feeding to the street, endangering the power company workers trying to get you hooked back up.
Every year, people die in incidents related to portable generator use and ALL of them could have been prevented. Please be careful.
If anyone has questions regarding generator safety, please feel free to contact the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office at 594-3034.
- 1 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 2 Police: Woman Robs Darien Bank At Gunpoint
- 3 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation
- 4 New Canaan Man Named No. 3 Philanthropist In The Nation
- 5 Chance Of Snow Returns To New Canaan Overnight