NEW CANAAN, Conn. — The following is a letter from New Canaan Fire Marshal Fred Baker.
In the past two months, I have experienced several incidents of residential security alarms that were completely disconnected because they had become a nuisance. In these cases, homeowners were unaware that their smoke detector or fire alarm system was connected to the security system, leaving them completely unprotected. These are not separate systems. If one is disconnected, they both are out of service.
Many security alarm systems are installed after reports about burglaries in the area. In these instances, alarm companies will sell you an “add-on” of smoke detectors at little extra cost – almost as an afterthought. These smoke detectors are powered by the same panel as the security system, so the system must be maintained and serviced at least annually by the alarm company to ensure proper operation.
If you have an older alarm system, you may have only one detector for an entire home. This is not enough. At least one detector should be located on each floor of the home and outside of each sleeping area. Additional detectors inside of each sleeping room are strongly recommended – even if only battery powered.
Also critical to safety in our homes are carbon monoxide detectors, which should also be placed on each level of a home. CO detectors may or may not be part of your alarm system. If they are part of the system, they also will not work if the system is disabled.
The bottom line is, residential alarm systems provide more than just security protection for your home. Fire alarm, CO detectors, freeze-up protection, flood/water sensors and more may be part of the “system” and must be maintained in proper operating condition or you may be living with a false sense of security. Having annual checkups by your alarm company is vital to ensure you and your family are properly protected.
Residents with questions may call the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office at 203- 594-3030. If requested, a courtesy visit to your home can be scheduled to ensure proper protection.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over New Canaan Skies Sunday
- 2 Death Of Christopher Crowley Of Maker & Company Tops New Canaan Week’s News
- 3 Stamford Woman Dies After Being Hit By SUV On Hope Street
- 4 New Canaan Police: Elderly Man Is Victim Of 'Distraction' Burglary
- 5 New Canaan Will See Big Drop In Temperature This Weekend