Contact Us
New Canaan Daily Voice serves New Canaan, CT
Return to your home site

Menu

New Canaan Daily Voice serves New Canaan, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Chimney Fire Damages Stamford Home On Christmas

The Belltown Volunteer Fire Department responded to a chimney fire on Old North Stamford Road on Christmas night
The Belltown Volunteer Fire Department responded to a chimney fire on Old North Stamford Road on Christmas night Photo Credit: Belltown Volunteer Fire Department via Facebook

STAMFORD, Conn. -- A chimney fire on Christmas night caused extensive damage to a home on Old North Stamford Road.

At around 9:44 p.m. Monday, units from the Belltown Volunteer Fire Department and companies from the Stamford Fire Department were dispatched to 114 Old North Stamford Road for a report of a chimney fire. Engine 41 arrived within four minutes and saw a moderate amount of smoke coming from the chimney, Belltown fire officials said. Upon entering the home, there was no immediate sign of a fire until crew members opened the attic hatch and saw heavy smoke and evidence of a growing attic fire.

A total of 17 Belltown volunteers, along with a full assignment of Stamford firefighters, stretched hose lines, established a water supply, laddered the building, performed roof ventilation, and conducted extensive overhaul to extinguish the blaze, fire officials said. The home suffered severe water damage in the living areas, and extensive fire and smoke damage to the attic, and is not habitable at this time.

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters during the incident. The Stamford Fire Marshal's office performed an investigation, and initial findings point to the fire starting in the area of the fire place, which had been in use at the time, fire officials said.

"Belltown Volunteer Fire Department encourages all residents to have their chimneys and fireplaces inspected and maintained by a licensed contractor on an annual basis to help prevent fireplace related incidents," fire officials said in a statement. "In addition, all homes should be protected by working smoke and CO detectors to alert occupants in the event of a fire."

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

New Canaan Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.