NEW CANAAN, Conn. — A New Canaan man was arrested after leaving his daughters home alone while he walked the dog, police said. The two girls got out of the home and were found walking along Park Street, police said.
Police were called to Mead Street near Park Street after hearing that two young girls were walking alone near and in the street, Sgt. Carol Ogrinc said. While officers were with the girls, ages 2 and 4, a man approached walking his dog and one of the girls called him, “daddy,” the sergeant said.
Haiyu Huang, 39, of New Canaan, told police he left to walk the dog for five or 10 minutes and locked the girls inside, and did not think they could get out, Ogrinc said. Police allowed him to take the girls home, until his wife returned, and he turned himself in on two counts of risk of injury to a child, the sergeant said.
He posted $1,000 bond and is expected to appear in court July 10.
A 68-year-old New Canaan man saw the two girls and called police and stayed with them until officers arrived, Ogrinc said. Another woman had stopped and assisted, but she left before the police arrived, the sergeant said.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact New Canaan On Wednesday
- 2 Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Christopher Lloyd
- 3 New Canaan Ranks In SafeWise's Top 10 Of Safest Places In State
- 4 No Injuries Reported In Car Fire On Merritt Parkway In Greenwich
- 5 Stop At New Canaan Peachwave Helps Man Win Free Frozen Yogurt For A Year