NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- The New Canaan Fire Department recently received a $5,500 grant from the Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company to help improve the safety of residents and first responders.
The money will allow the department to purchase a new fire hydrant flow test kit and new turnout gear. Turnout gear is the most important equipment a firefighter has when responding to an emergency. This gear includes the fire-resistant clothing firefighters wear when responding to incidents, like fires or major vehicle crashes, protecting them from exposure to chemicals, heat and flames.
“It’s critical that our firefighters have the tools and clothing necessary to provide the best service possible to the community,” Fire Chief Jack Hennessey said in a statement. “We are extremely thankful for this grant. This truly enables us to provide an increased level of service to the community.”
The grant is part of a nationwide philanthropic program paid for by Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company. Through the program, grants are awarded to fire service organizations for life-saving equipment, firefighter training and community education programs.
- 1 New Canaan Boasts Top Three Elementary Schools In Connecticut
- 2 New Canaan Man Gets 13 Years In Prison For Running Ponzi Scheme
- 3 New Canaan Ranked Second Best High School In Connecticut
- 4 Greenwich Bank Robbed At Gunpoint; Police Seek Female Suspect
- 5 Winter Storm Watch Issued For New Canaan; 6-12 Inches Of Snow Likely