WILTON, Conn. – A 47-year-old man shot earlier this week in his Wilton home remained in critical condition Wednesday at Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Police said the man shot himself while struggling over a rifle with his wife. The couple — Charles and Michele Garcia — lived at 35 Grumman Ave. for about two years, said Gary Lorentson, the home's owner.
“They kept the property up, they’ve been very good tenants and respectful people, so this was stunning,” said Lorentson, who lives in Brookfield.
Wilton Police are still investigating what happened, but have said the couple were injured by a single rifle shot during a struggle over the firearm in an upstairs bedroom. Charles Garcia suffered life-threatening injuries and Michele Garcia, 39, also suffered facial injuries that were not life-threatening, police said.
Police said officers responding to a report of a gunshot Monday morning found that Michele Garcia had gone to a neighbor’s home to call 911 and Charles Garcia was found in the couples' home, where the gun had gone off.
- 1 New Canaan Man, 48, Arrested On Child Sex Assault Charge
- 2 Police Corral 90-Pound Alligator Crossing Street In New York City
- 3 Cigarette Assault Arrest, Historic House Listing Top News In New Canaan
- 4 Shark Sightings Lead To Beach Closure On Long Island
- 5 $22K In Jewelry Reported Stolen From New Canaan Home