WILTON, Conn. – A 47-year-old man shot earlier this week in his Wilton home remained in critical condition Wednesday at Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Police said the man shot himself while struggling over a rifle with his wife. The couple — Charles and Michele Garcia — lived at 35 Grumman Ave. for about two years, said Gary Lorentson, the home's owner.
“They kept the property up, they’ve been very good tenants and respectful people, so this was stunning,” said Lorentson, who lives in Brookfield.
Wilton Police are still investigating what happened, but have said the couple were injured by a single rifle shot during a struggle over the firearm in an upstairs bedroom. Charles Garcia suffered life-threatening injuries and Michele Garcia, 39, also suffered facial injuries that were not life-threatening, police said.
Police said officers responding to a report of a gunshot Monday morning found that Michele Garcia had gone to a neighbor’s home to call 911 and Charles Garcia was found in the couples' home, where the gun had gone off.
- 1 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In New Canaan
- 3 Walgreen's Worker Honored For Tipping Off New Canaan Police To Suspects
- 4 Sony Pulls Film; New Canaan Will Have To Wait On 'The Interview'
- 5 Two New Canaan Police Officers Honored For Life-Saving Actions