NEW CANAAN, Conn. – Voters in New Canaan did not follow the rest of the state or nation Tuesday, voting overwhelmingly for Republican Mitt Romney in the presidential race.
With Republicans a solid majority in New Canaan, Romney and running mate Paul Ryan received 6,966 votes in New Canaan, easily besting President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, who received 3,804. This includes absentee ballots.
The Libertarian ticket of Gary Johnson and Paul Gray received 75 votes, while the Independent team of Rocky Anderson and Luis Rodriguez received 15 votes.
Despite New Canaan, President Obama still won Connecticut and its seven electoral votes. The state victory was part of Obama’s win nationwide for a second term in the White House.
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Linda McMahon also fared well in New Canaan, receiving 6,701 votes to Democrat Chris Murphy’s, 3,796. Murphy ended up winning the Senate seat of retiring independent Joe Lieberman. Libertarian Senate candidate Paul Passarelli received just 131 votes.
In the 4th District Congressional race, Republican challenger Steve Obsitnik was a winner in New Canaan with 6,532 votes. He beat out the Democratic incumbent, Jim Himes, who got 4,086 votes. Himes nevertheless won re-election.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Heavy Rain Headed To New Canaan, Thunderstorms Possible
- 5 New Canaan Could See New Round Of Thunderstorms