NEW CANAAN, Conn. — Longtime New Canaan educator Joanne LaVista, acting principal of West Elementary School, will retire at the end of June after a 34-year career with the district, Superintendent Mary Kolek announced Thursday.
LaVista began her career in 1980 as a teacher at New Canaan’s Center School. She later went on to teach at Saxe and West schools before she was promoted to assistant principal of West in 2001. She became the school’s acting principal last September after then-principal Jill Correnty was appointed interim assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction.
“With a career spanning 34 years, one of the most wonderful experiences I have had is seeing my former students as parents and being involved in the education of their children," LaVista wrote in a letter to parents.
During her career, LaVista has also served as chairwoman of the Tech Council and a member of the Crisis Advisory Board and Planning Committee.
“I have always felt fortunate to be connected to such a special community of learners, educators and families,” LaVista said.
- 1 New Canaan Police Arrest Driver After High-Speed Chase
- 2 Elderly Woman Mauled By Dog Dies At Bridgeport Hospital
- 3 Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Ann Curry
- 4 New Canaan, Darien Ranked 1-2 By MaxPreps As Football Title Game Nears
- 5 Bridgeport National Guard Member Killed By Unsafe Lane Change, Police Say