NEW CANAAN, Conn. — Longtime New Canaan educator Joanne LaVista, acting principal of West Elementary School, will retire at the end of June after a 34-year career with the district, Superintendent Mary Kolek announced Thursday.
LaVista began her career in 1980 as a teacher at New Canaan’s Center School. She later went on to teach at Saxe and West schools before she was promoted to assistant principal of West in 2001. She became the school’s acting principal last September after then-principal Jill Correnty was appointed interim assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction.
“With a career spanning 34 years, one of the most wonderful experiences I have had is seeing my former students as parents and being involved in the education of their children," LaVista wrote in a letter to parents.
During her career, LaVista has also served as chairwoman of the Tech Council and a member of the Crisis Advisory Board and Planning Committee.
“I have always felt fortunate to be connected to such a special community of learners, educators and families,” LaVista said.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over New Canaan Skies Sunday
- 2 Death Of Christopher Crowley Of Maker & Company Tops New Canaan Week’s News
- 3 New Canaan Will See Big Drop In Temperature This Weekend
- 4 Stamford Woman Dies After Being Hit By SUV On Hope Street
- 5 New Canaan Police: Elderly Man Is Victim Of 'Distraction' Burglary