NEW CANAAN, Conn. — Longtime New Canaan educator Joanne LaVista, acting principal of West Elementary School, will retire at the end of June after a 34-year career with the district, Superintendent Mary Kolek announced Thursday.
LaVista began her career in 1980 as a teacher at New Canaan’s Center School. She later went on to teach at Saxe and West schools before she was promoted to assistant principal of West in 2001. She became the school’s acting principal last September after then-principal Jill Correnty was appointed interim assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction.
“With a career spanning 34 years, one of the most wonderful experiences I have had is seeing my former students as parents and being involved in the education of their children," LaVista wrote in a letter to parents.
During her career, LaVista has also served as chairwoman of the Tech Council and a member of the Crisis Advisory Board and Planning Committee.
“I have always felt fortunate to be connected to such a special community of learners, educators and families,” LaVista said.
- 1 New Canaan Cop Dragged During Arrest Narrowly Escapes Serious Injury
- 2 New Canaan Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 3 Norwalk Cop Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car On Tracks
- 4 Nordstrom Plans To Open Store In Proposed 95/7 Mall In Norwalk
- 5 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48