NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- With the retirement of Superintendent Mary Kolek looming on June 30, the New Canaan Board of Education is looking to name an interim superintendent as it continues its work to find a permanent replacement.
The School Board Search Committee is tasked with finding, vetting and having a replacement for Kolek in place by July 1.
"The Search Committee has met to examine the requirements of the role and desired timing of filling the position," said a statement from the Board of Education. "Given the fact that the Board of Education would like a superintendent in place by July 1, 2014, the committee has decided to name an interim superintendent. The committee is now in the process of identifying a candidate to fill the position."
The Board of Education held a special meeting March 17 and appointed all board members to serve on the Superintendent of Schools Search Committee.
Kolek, who has served the New Canaan school district for 10 years, will be relocating to North Carolina with her family.
Kolek announced her retirement in early March. She had been superintendent of New Canaan Schools since 2012.
Before her tenure in New Canaan, Kolek served as the principal of Weston High School.
- 1 New Canaan Cop Dragged During Arrest Narrowly Escapes Serious Injury
- 2 New Canaan Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits New Canaan
- 4 Disabled Vehicle Cleared From Snow-Covered Merritt Parkway In New Canaan
- 5 New Canaan Letter: Teacher Bullying Is Unacceptable