NEW CANAAN, Conn. – New Canaan Public Schools will reopen on Wednesday as town and utility crews continue working on restoring power following Hurricane Sandy.
Town Emergency Management Director Mike Handler told residents in a 10 a.m. outcall. A decision on what time schools will open will be made after assessing the progress of the recovery, Handler said.
Schools have been closed since last Monday due to the storm and subsequent widespread power outages.
Power was restored Saturday to Saxe Middle School and New Canaan High School, keeping the polls for Election Day Tuesday unchanged.
Handler added the Huckleberry Hill area and the lower Silvermine Road and Comstock Hill Road area will take several days to restore since damage from last Monday’s storm is “far more severe than previously thought.”
Weed Street between Route 106 and Elm Street is closed so work can be done unimpeded.
- 1 $22K In Jewelry Reported Stolen From New Canaan Home
- 2 New Map Shows Lyme Disease Risk
- 3 Police ID Homeless Man Whose Legs Were Found Near New Haven Train Station
- 4 New Canaan Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 3-Year-Old At Wife's Day Care
- 5 New Canaan Allstate Agent Michael Saunders Honored For Service