NEW CANAAN, Conn. – New Canaan Public Schools will reopen on Wednesday as town and utility crews continue working on restoring power following Hurricane Sandy.
Town Emergency Management Director Mike Handler told residents in a 10 a.m. outcall. A decision on what time schools will open will be made after assessing the progress of the recovery, Handler said.
Schools have been closed since last Monday due to the storm and subsequent widespread power outages.
Power was restored Saturday to Saxe Middle School and New Canaan High School, keeping the polls for Election Day Tuesday unchanged.
Handler added the Huckleberry Hill area and the lower Silvermine Road and Comstock Hill Road area will take several days to restore since damage from last Monday’s storm is “far more severe than previously thought.”
Weed Street between Route 106 and Elm Street is closed so work can be done unimpeded.
- 1 New Canaan Police Officer Comes To Rescue Of Choking Victim
- 2 New Canaan Ranks Among State's Best Suburbs To Live In
- 3 New Canaan Student Arrested At School On Pot Charges
- 4 Court: Dad Charged In Norwalk Baby's Death Spiked Bottle With Alcohol
- 5 Tarrytown's Happy Rockefeller, Wife Of Late Nelson Rockefeller, Dies