NEW CANAAN, Conn. – New Canaan Public Schools will reopen on Wednesday as town and utility crews continue working on restoring power following Hurricane Sandy.
Town Emergency Management Director Mike Handler told residents in a 10 a.m. outcall. A decision on what time schools will open will be made after assessing the progress of the recovery, Handler said.
Schools have been closed since last Monday due to the storm and subsequent widespread power outages.
Power was restored Saturday to Saxe Middle School and New Canaan High School, keeping the polls for Election Day Tuesday unchanged.
Handler added the Huckleberry Hill area and the lower Silvermine Road and Comstock Hill Road area will take several days to restore since damage from last Monday’s storm is “far more severe than previously thought.”
Weed Street between Route 106 and Elm Street is closed so work can be done unimpeded.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact New Canaan On Wednesday
- 2 Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Christopher Lloyd
- 3 New Canaan Ranks In SafeWise's Top 10 Of Safest Places In State
- 4 No Injuries Reported In Car Fire On Merritt Parkway In Greenwich
- 5 Stop At New Canaan Peachwave Helps Man Win Free Frozen Yogurt For A Year