NEW CANAAN, Conn. – New Canaan selectmen greeted children and parents at New Canaan’s three elementary schools Monday morning in an effort ease concerns following the tragedy in Newtown.
First Selectman Robert Mallozzi III went to West School, Selectman Nick Williams spent time at East School and Selectman Beth Jones appeared at South School.
Williams said the selectmen decided over the weekend to make the appearances to let children know that they are in a safe place when they leave home to learn.
“We told them that their safety is our highest priority and we love each and every one of them and they’re the most important things in our lives,” Williams said.
Twenty-seven people were killed Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown after a gunman came to the school and began shooting at students and school staff. The gunman died after shooting himself.
- 1 New Canaan Police Officer Comes To Rescue Of Choking Victim
- 2 New Canaan Ranks Among State's Best Suburbs To Live In
- 3 Stamford's Riko's A Finalist In DVlicious Pizza Contest
- 4 New Canaan Student Arrested At School On Pot Charges
- 5 Court: Dad Charged In Norwalk Baby's Death Spiked Bottle With Alcohol