NEW CANAAN, Conn. – New Canaan selectmen greeted children and parents at New Canaan’s three elementary schools Monday morning in an effort ease concerns following the tragedy in Newtown.
First Selectman Robert Mallozzi III went to West School, Selectman Nick Williams spent time at East School and Selectman Beth Jones appeared at South School.
Williams said the selectmen decided over the weekend to make the appearances to let children know that they are in a safe place when they leave home to learn.
“We told them that their safety is our highest priority and we love each and every one of them and they’re the most important things in our lives,” Williams said.
Twenty-seven people were killed Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown after a gunman came to the school and began shooting at students and school staff. The gunman died after shooting himself.
- 1 Lack Of Safety Precautions Cited In Death Of New Canaan DPW Employee
- 2 New Canaan Grads Play In 150th Game Of College Football's Longest Rivalry
- 3 New Canaan Police Seek Information On Man Who Used Counterfeit Cash
- 4 Connecticut Sends Jumbo Snowblowers To Help Dig Out Buffalo
- 5 Up To One Inch Of Rain Could Fall Overnight In New Canaan