NEW CANAAN, Conn. — New Canaan students lost another day of their April break this year when Friday’s snowstorm closed school.
The schools spring break was scheduled to run from April 15 through 19, however with all of the closings it has been cut to just April 18 and 19, a revised school calendar released by the public school district said. If there is another school closing, April 18 would become a school day, the calendar said.
Friday was the 10th day this school year that students did not go in because of weather. Six days were used in the fall when Hurricane Sandy hit caused massive power outings and damage to the town, and another four in the winter due to snow.
“The decision really boils down to is everyone going to be safe,” Superintendent Mary Kolek said.
Students and teachers are expected to be in attendance during the added back days, however if there are students or teachers with plans such as trips or weddings the district will work them on an individual basis, she said.
“It just seems like one of those years,” Kolek said adding that this school year has seen a record number of cancellations.
- 1 Lack Of Safety Precautions Cited In Death Of New Canaan DPW Employee
- 2 New Canaan Grads Play In 150th Game Of College Football's Longest Rivalry
- 3 New Canaan Police Seek Information On Man Who Used Counterfeit Cash
- 4 Rain, Snow Threaten New Canaan On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 5 Up To One Inch Of Rain Could Fall Overnight In New Canaan