FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – After a lengthy layoff due to Hurricane Sandy, high school sports teams return to competition Tuesday in the Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference.
Semifinals will be played in field hockey, girls soccer and boys soccer. Finals will also be held in girls swimming and diving. Quarterfinals will be played in girls volleyball. The winners of the semifinals will be declared co-champions. State tournaments for boys soccer, girls soccer and field hockey begin Thursday.
The field hockey semifinals begin at 2 p.m. at New Canaan High School with No. 2 Darien meeting No. 3 New Canaan. Top-seeded Wilton meets No. 4 Greenwich at 4.
The boys soccer semifinals will be played at Fairfield Ludlowe. No. 3 Greenwich meets No. 2 Ridgefield at 5 p.m., and No. 4 Wilton plays No. 1 Norwalk at 7. In the girls soccer semifinals at Norwalk High, No. 3 Ridgefield meets No. 2 St. Joseph at 5 p.m., and No. 5 Greenwich meets No. 1 Trumbull at 7.
The girls swimming finals begin at 4 p.m. at Greenwich High School. The diving finals begin at 9:30 a.m. at Westhill.
Top-seeded Darien hosts No. 8 Ridgefield in the girls volleyball quarterfinals at 4 p.m. No. 7 Westhill travels to No. 2 Fairfield Ludlowe, No. 4 Trumbull hosts No. 5 Greenwich and No. 6 Staples visits No. 3 Stamford in the other quarterfinal games. They are all scheduled to start at 4 p.m.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward New Canaan, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In New Canaan; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 3 New Canaan Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For New Canaan With Snow, Ice In Forecast
- 5 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield