FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Masuk High School upset New Canaan High in the Class L semifinal football game on Sunday afternoon, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference reported.
The final score was 28-15, with No. 5 Masuk topping No. 8 New Canaan at Benedict Field in Monroe. The Rams from New Canaan were the four-time reigning champion in Class L.
Masuk advances to the final against No. 2 Daniel Hand High School on Saturday at a time and site to be announced. Hand topped No. 3 Windsor on Sunday, 31-6, in the other semifinal game.
In Class LL, top-ranked Greenwich topped fourth-ranked South Windsor, 36-7, at Cardinal Stadium. Greenwich will play third-ranked Darien, which beat seventh-ranked West Haven, 27-13, on Sunday in the other semifinal game.
This is the third straight year that Darien and Greenwich have met in the Class LL championship game. Darien is the two-time reigning champ.
In Class M, sixth-ranked Joel Barlow High routed seventh-ranked SMSA/University/Classical Magnet, 53-14, in a semifinal game played in Redding.
Barlow now advances to its first-ever Class M state championship game. They will take on No. 1 Killingly, which beat fourth-ranked Berlin, 49-7, in the other semifinal game.
In Class S, second-ranked St. Joseph of Trumbull topped third-ranked Rocky Hill, 49-20, in a semifinal game played at McDougall Stadium in Trumbull.
In the final, St. Joseph will play top-ranked Ansonia, which beat fifth-ranked Stafford/East Windsor/Somers, 52-19.
Here are the scores from the semifinal games, as reported by the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference.
- No. 1 Greenwich 36, No. 4 South Windsor 7
- No. 3 Darien 27, No. 7 West Haven 13
- No. 2 Hand 31, No. 3 Windsor 6
- No. 5 Masuk 28, No. 8 New Canaan 14
- No. 1 Killingly 49, No.4 Berlin 7
- No. 6 Barlow 53, No. 7 SMSA/University/Classical Magnet 14
- No. 1 Ansonia 52, No. 5 Stafford/East Windsor/Somers 19
- No. 2 St. Joseph 49, No. 3 Rocky Hill 20
Here are the match-ups for the football finals. All games will be played Saturday, with times and sites to be announced:
- No. 1 Greenwich vs. No. 3 Darien
- No. 2 Hand vs. No. 5 Masuk
- No. 1 Killingly vs. No. 6 Barlow
- No. 1 Ansonia vs. No. 2 St. Joseph
Click here for full brackets and scores from CIAC.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.