NEW CANAAN, Conn. - New Canaan-based Dr. Claudia Sickinger Harris, a longtime active participant in the town's youth lacrosse leagues, has been chosen to serve on a wubcommittee for the sport's national governing body.
Sickinger Harris will be a member of of has been chosen to serve on the Women’s Game/Interscholastic and Youth Subcommittee of U.S. Lacrosse.
A youth lacrosse coach, Sickinger Harris, has shown leadership in the promotion of girls lacrosse, as well as advocacy for safe, healthy youth sports.
“I greatly look forward to lending my efforts to this important USL subcommittee and to playing my role in continuing to work to support the growth of youth lacrosse leagues nationwide, placing the safety, health and well-being of its players as the first and foremost priority,” she said.
Several of the 2014 USL national initiatives undertaken for this group will include the following:
- Health and safety concerns at the youth lacrosse level
- Issues pertaining to college recruiting
- Concerns relating to responsible growth of the girls’ game, including the active recruitment of women to coaching and officiating.
At the USL National Convention in January, Sickinger Harris was also appointed to serve as a liaison to the USL Men’s Interscholastic and Youth subcommittee and the Connecticut New York Youth Lacrosse Association.
She is the mother of three children who plays the sport and currently sits on the New Canaan Lacrosse Association’s Grievance Committee. She is a USL certified youth girls lacrosse coach.
She was captain of the women’s lacrosse team at Vassar College and played girls lacrosse at John Jay High School in Cross River, N.Y.
- 1 New Canaan Celebrating Independence With Family Fourth Fireworks
- 2 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 3 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 4 Passengers Stranded For Hours Overnight On Metro-North's New Haven Line
- 5 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In New Canaan