NEW CANAAN, Conn. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in New Canaan this week:
- The fifth major storm of 2014 left most of Fairfield County looking like a ghost town Thursday, covering the area with nearly a foot of snow and ice.
- The winter has been so bad, Gov. Malloy has declared a state of emergency to replenish dwindling salt supplies .
- Alexandra “Bunny” Potts, the principal at New Canaan's East Elementary School, is set to retire .
- New Canaan police arrested a 52-year-old local man for allegedly hitting and injuring his live-in girlfriend's 13-year-old-son.
- New Canaan and Wilton state Rep. Tom O'Dea (R-125) looks forward to new legislative session with adding jobs and cutting taxes as the top priorities .
- T he New Canaan YMCA Whirlwind Diving Team captured the team first place prize at the annual Whirlwind Winter Weekend Invitational Diving Meet.
- Fairfield officers investigated an assault, broke up a loud party and helped get a barely conscious woman to the hospital.