Contact Us
New Canaan Daily Voice serves New Canaan, CT
Return to your home site


New Canaan Daily Voice serves New Canaan, CT

Nearby Towns


Cigarette Ashes Blamed for Second New Canaan Fire

NEW CANAAN, Conn. – Cigarette ashes are being blamed for a second house fire in town in as many months.

Firefighters responded at about 12:23 p.m. Friday to a small fire at a ranch house on 137 Harrison Ave. The small blaze was started by the improper disposal of cigarette ashes into a wicker basket in the bedroom, Fire Marshal Fred Baker said. The fire was largely extinguished by residents who used pans of water to put it out, Baker said. No one was injured.

The bedroom sustained minor damage, and there was smoke damage throughout the house. Baker said the residents were fortunate that the fire happened in the daytime rather than in the evening as the home had no smoke detectors.

“They were very, very lucky,” he said.

Cigarette ashes were also the cause of a fire last month that destroyed a Fawn Lane home. The family of Daniel and Peggy Lee escaped without injury.

Baker said Friday’s fire should serve as a reminder for people to check their smoke detectors or to have them installed. If your home is in need of a smoke detector, call Baker at 203-594-3030.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

New Canaan Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

New Canaan Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.