Contact Us
New Canaan Daily Voice serves New Canaan, CT
Return to your home site


New Canaan Daily Voice serves New Canaan, CT

Nearby Towns


Cigarette Ashes Caused New Canaan Fire

NEW CANAAN, Conn. – Cigarettes ashes placed in a non-fireproof trash can caused a fire that destroyed a Fawn Lane home Jan. 15, officials said Monday.

The fire started outside the home and made its way inside, officials announced. The home was a total loss.

Dan Lee and his wife, Peggy, their daughter, two of the daughter’s friends and a pair of dogs all made it out safely. The Lee family’s cat did not survive the fire, Assistant Fire Chief John Hennessey said.

“It’s an accidental fire,” Hennessey said. “There’s no criminal activity. It’s a very unfortunate and very tragic fire.”

Several residents have come to Lee family’s aid in the fire’s aftermath, contributing to a fund established by the Bank of New Canaan. Michele Ayoub will collect donations for the family during the next Zumba For A Cause event, scheduled for 7 p.m. Jan. 31 at New Balance of New Canaan on Main Street.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

New Canaan Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

New Canaan Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.