NEW CANAAN, Conn. The cause of a fire that killed a New Canaan college student near Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., will go undetermined, according to a statement from investigators on Friday.
No definitive cause was found for the Jan. 21 house fire that claimed the life of Kevin Johnson, 21, who was a 2008 graduate of New Canaan High School, said officials from the Poughkeepsie police, the Fairview and Arlington fire district and the Dutchess County Emergency Response Unit.
The investigation concluded that smoking materials, electrical distribution, electrical devices and human behavior could not be eliminated as potential causes, the joint statement said.
Heating systems, portable heating units, cooking equipment, spontaneous ignition, lighting and solar energy were ruled out. The fire started in the rear portion of the buildings first floor.
Johnson was a former Marist student who was attending Dutchess Community College, also located in Poughkeepsie. Two Marist students, including a woman from Woodbridge, also died in the fire.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.