NEW CANAAN, Conn. – New Canaan Ski & Sport has shut the doors on its Forest Street location.
The skiing and winter clothing and apparel store, open in New Canaan for 38 years, has relocated to Westport. Store Manager Bill Colleran confirmed that the store would close. Saturday was the final day of New Canaan business. Signs advertising the new Westport location and giving thanks to New Canaan shoppers were in the windows of the empty storefront. Several people stopped to read the closure notice as they passed by.
Colleran and his staff had to deal with mild weather last winter, which slowed traffic at the store.
Tucker Murphy, executive director of the New Canaan Chamber of Commerce, said it was sad to see the shop close after so many years in town. She said she heard that Ski & Sport was looking for a smaller location.
“It’s really a shame that they’ve left New Canaan,” she said. “I think a lot of people relied on them for their skis and (sports) equipment. I wish them well and hope people will follow them to their new shop.”
Murphy said she’s hopeful another business or two will move in to the space. While another retail store would be ideal, Murphy said any business in that area could do well.
“That could be a very appealing spot,” she said.
- 1 Lack Of Safety Precautions Cited In Death Of New Canaan DPW Employee
- 2 New Canaan Grads Play In 150th Game Of College Football's Longest Rivalry
- 3 New Canaan Police Seek Information On Man Who Used Counterfeit Cash
- 4 Rain, Snow Threaten New Canaan On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 5 Up To One Inch Of Rain Could Fall Overnight In New Canaan