NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- The middle school students from across lower Fairfield County who make up the Jr. Company of The Summer Theatre of New Canaan are getting ready to put on a show.
On Friday, July 25, after a three-week acting and rehearsal program, they will present one performance of "Hairspray Jr." in the Summer Theatre of New Canaan’s Open-air tent theatre in Waveny Park.
“The is a very diverse and talented group of young actors and we expect this to be a great learning and performance experience for our Jr. Company members and for families with young children who can attend this fun show for free!” artistic director Melody Libonati said.
The Jr. Company performance of "Hairspray" is presented free and open to the public.
The junior acting company rehearsed and worked with the professional actors, creative and technical staff of the main stage professional production of "Hairspray" to present this fully produced production as a special event and part of the Summer Season at Waveny Park.
The performance is at 4 p.m. Friday July 25, at Waveny Park.
Hairspray, Jr. features Jr Company members from:
- Darien - Charlotte Barnard, Ellie Collier, Emelyn Ehrlich, Sydney Fagerstrom, Jenna Funkey, Emily Grandon, Diana MacIntyre;
- Fairfield - Caitlin Golynker;
- New Canaan - Cate Brown, Claire Brunner, William Dantini, Lindsey Kanter, Vanessa Kanter, Joseph Nardi, Niki Orndahl, Kaitlin Piotroski, Ava Rucci, Isabella Salant, Lexy Sullivan, Skyler Timberlake, Christa Wennerstrom;
- Norwalk - Sydney Coffield, Dillon Mims;
- Ridgefield - Savanna Shettler; and
- Wilton - Rachel Wilson; and Meridith Taggart.
The creative team includes artistic director Melody Meitrott Libonati of New Canaan, director/choreographer Corrine Broadbent of Norwalk, stage manager Kristina Lew of Darien, costume designer Becky Thorogood of Wilton, and sound designer Daniel Bria of Stamford. The student cast also attended the main stage production of "Hairspray" running at Waveny Park through Aug. 3
The Summer Theatre of New Canaan is wheelchair accessible.Visit stonc.org or call 201-966-4634 for more information.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.