FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The Chinese New Year starts Saturday, Jan. 28, ushering in the Year of the Rooster, and leaving behind the Year of the Monkey. The celebration, which lasts for 15 days, is the most important holiday in the Chinese calendar.
For many, it means celebrations including dragon dances, reunions, family dinners and the handing out of red envelopes. For others, it means eating at a Chinese restaurant and debating the meaning of what's written on one's fortune cookie.
Ring in the holiday at some of Fairfield County's finest. A sampling follows though feel free to add your own favorites to our Facebook comments.
- Asiana Cafe, Greenwich : Enjoy the tastes of Chinese, Thai and Japanese cuisine amidst a modern dining room. Celebrate the New Year: 130 E. Putnam Ave., (203) 622-6833.
- Chi Public House, Norwalk: Start off the Year of the Rooster with a masquerade ball on Saturday, Jan. 28 from 9:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. complete with music by DJ Dharma. Or, just indulge in "entrees from the farm" such as dragon chicken or tangerine beef. Celebrate the New Year: 128 Washington St., (203) 939-9959.
- Ching’s Table, New Canaan: Enjoy the flavors of East meets West at this popular eatery where wok and grilled dishes reign supreme. Celebrate the New Year: 64 Main St., (203) 972-8550.
- CN Station, Bridgeport : Expect solid Chinese fare at this Bridgeport staple where take-out is always bustling. Celebrate the New Year: 133 Wood Ave. (203) 873-0980.
- Kam Pei, Stamford: Solid portions and a mix of options make this a popular spot for take-out or eat-in. Celebrate the New Year: 49 High Ridge Rd., (203) 602-0580.
- New Wok, Newtown: Noodles, stir-fries and other traditional Chinese dishes are on the menu at this casual eatery where steamed healthy dishes are another big draw. Celebrate the New Year: 228 S Main St., (203) 270-3738.
- Oriental Gourmet, Old Greenwich: Consistently good food is the hallmark of this restaurant, known for its wallet-friendly lunch specials and accommodating staff. Celebrate the New Year: 214 Sound Beach Ave., (203) 637-1010.
- Panda House, Danbury: There's something for everyone at Panda House where you'll find a wide selection of Chinese and Japanese cuisine. House specialties include Lady Tso' s shrimp, crispy spicy fish, and sushi. Celebrate the New Year: 93 Mill Plain Rd., (203) 743-6080.
- Pearl East, Stamford: A special Chinese Lunar New Year menu with entrees such as "Eternal Joy and Fortune," (a combination of spring rolls, crispy pork wonton shrimp dim sun and more) and "Rising Phoenix With Life Vigor" (aka crispy golden chicken) is being offered, along with traditional Chinese fare (and Japanese dishes) at this Stamford favorite. Celebrate the New Year: 323 Hope St., (203) 973-0072.
- Shu Restaurant, Fairfield: Yelpers rave over the dan dan noodles and Chengdu dumplings, but there's a long list of items to try. Many also like the low lighting and sophisticated atmosphere. Celebrate the New Year: 1795 Post Rd., (203) 255-6888.
- The Little Kitchen of Westport: Creative Asian dishes define this cozy Indonesian-Chinese gem where dumplings, buns and wontons can be found on many a diner's plate. There are also plenty of rolls, rices and entrees. Celebrate the New Year: 423 Post Rd E., (203) 454-5540.
- Village Gourmet, Norwalk: This neighborhood go-to is known for its modern interpretations of classic dishes and its insistence on only using high-quality fresh ingredients. Celebrate the New Year: 22 Chestnut Hill Rd., (203) 849-8788.
- WUJI, Greenwich: Only the purest and most natural ingredients are used at WUJI, which offers a fresh take on Chinese cuisine -- think organic chicken, pasture raised pork, grass fed beef, wild caught fish, cage-free eggs and organic vegetables. Celebrate the New Year: 68 E Putnam Ave., (203) 869-1940.