New Canaan, Conn. -- Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Lewis "Jerry" Bremer III!
Lewis "Jerry" Bremer III who grew in New Canaan, turns 72 on Monday. Bremer, born September 30, 1941, in Hartford, is an American diplomat.
He started his career with the Foreign Service, and went first to Kabul, Afghanistan, as a general services officer. He was assigned to Blantyre, Malawi, as economic and commercial officer from 1968 to 1971.He was appointed Chairman of the National Commission on Terrorism by House Speaker Dennis Hastert in 1999.
He received the State Department Superior Honor Award, two Presidential Meritorious Service Awards, and the Distinguished Honor Award from the Secretary of State before rejoining government in 2003.
He is most notable for his role as the Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority of Iraq following the 2003 invasion. After returning from Iraq he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W Bush on December 14 2004.
He later joined World T.E.A.M. Sports, a Holbrook, New York-based non-profit organization, as CEO and President in November 2010, He retired from the organization in March, 2012.
- 1 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 2 New Canaan, Celebrate Memorial Day With Local Parades
- 3 Updated Memorial Day Forecast Brings Good News For Fairfield
- 4 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 5 Memorial Day Thunderstorm Chance, Enhanced Fire Risk In Fairfield