New Canaan, Conn. -- Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Lewis "Jerry" Bremer III!
Lewis "Jerry" Bremer III who grew in New Canaan, turns 72 on Monday. Bremer, born September 30, 1941, in Hartford, is an American diplomat.
He started his career with the Foreign Service, and went first to Kabul, Afghanistan, as a general services officer. He was assigned to Blantyre, Malawi, as economic and commercial officer from 1968 to 1971.He was appointed Chairman of the National Commission on Terrorism by House Speaker Dennis Hastert in 1999.
He received the State Department Superior Honor Award, two Presidential Meritorious Service Awards, and the Distinguished Honor Award from the Secretary of State before rejoining government in 2003.
He is most notable for his role as the Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority of Iraq following the 2003 invasion. After returning from Iraq he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W Bush on December 14 2004.
He later joined World T.E.A.M. Sports, a Holbrook, New York-based non-profit organization, as CEO and President in November 2010, He retired from the organization in March, 2012.
- 1 Fairfield Woman Hit By Bike In Central Park Is Reportedly Brain Dead
- 2 New Canaan Mom Looks To Raise Lyme Disease Awareness Through Field Hockey
- 3 Former Connecticut Gov. John Rowland Found Guilty Of Conspiracy
- 4 Open Houses In New Canaan This Weekend
- 5 New Canaan Could See Overnight Showers Heading Into Last Day Of Summer