New Canaan, Conn. -- Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Lewis "Jerry" Bremer III!
Lewis "Jerry" Bremer III who grew in New Canaan, turns 72 on Monday. Bremer, born September 30, 1941, in Hartford, is an American diplomat.
He started his career with the Foreign Service, and went first to Kabul, Afghanistan, as a general services officer. He was assigned to Blantyre, Malawi, as economic and commercial officer from 1968 to 1971.He was appointed Chairman of the National Commission on Terrorism by House Speaker Dennis Hastert in 1999.
He received the State Department Superior Honor Award, two Presidential Meritorious Service Awards, and the Distinguished Honor Award from the Secretary of State before rejoining government in 2003.
He is most notable for his role as the Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority of Iraq following the 2003 invasion. After returning from Iraq he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W Bush on December 14 2004.
He later joined World T.E.A.M. Sports, a Holbrook, New York-based non-profit organization, as CEO and President in November 2010, He retired from the organization in March, 2012.
- 1 Death Of Christopher Crowley Of Maker & Company Tops New Canaan Week’s News
- 2 Nor'easter To Impact New Canaan On Wednesday
- 3 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over New Canaan Skies Sunday
- 4 Stamford Woman Dies After Being Hit By SUV On Hope Street
- 5 New Canaan Ranks In SafeWise's Top 10 Of Safest Places In State