NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- The Waveny LifeCare Network of New Canaan is honoring its volunteers.
The group recently recognized its volunteers for their "unique contributions of time and talent throughout the Network, including Waveny Care Center, The Village, the Adult Day Program and The Inn," according to a press release. More than 500 individual volunteers collectively donated more than 15,000 hours of service to Waveny in the last year, with nearly 200 new volunteers joining Waveny.
For the first time in Waveny’s history, junior and senior volunteers were honored together at an intergenerational celebration and awards ceremony. More than 50 active Waveny volunteers were recognized for service-hour milestones ranging from 50 to 6,600 hours. In addition to recognizing hours of service, 11 volunteers received special awards to commemorate their anniversaries of five, 10, 15, and 25 years of service at Waveny.
New Canaan’s garden clubs and beautification leagues were specially recognized during the ceremony for their "volunteer service in beautifying Waveny," along with members from the former Retired and Senior Volunteer Program, and Waveny’s Pet Therapy volunteers, according to the release.
“It is said that people may forget what you said and what you did, but they’ll never forget how you make them feel,” said Debbie Perron, director of volunteers for Waveny. “A little bit of fragrance always lingers on the hand that gives.”
Awards were presented to the following volunteers who achieved outstanding service-hour milestones, courtesy Waveny LifeCare Network:
- 6,600 hours of service – Joan Quick
- 5,400 hours of service – Catherine Hollstein
- 5,000 hours of service – Lloyd Stout
- 3,700 hours of service – Fiz Tomaselli
- 3,200 hours of service – Lila Coleman and Dominick Gredoni
- 2,900 hours of service – Marion Blose
- 2,800 hours of service – Alice Widen
- 1,600 hours of service – Sheila McMann
- 1,400 hours of service – Joan Hopkins
- 1,200 hours of service – Judith Gilroy and Denise Widen
- 1,100 hours of service – Ewing Butler
- 800 hours of service – Mary Tanzi, JoAnn Dwyer and Linda Martin
- 600 hours of service – Karen Byrne
- 500 hours of service – Richard St. Francis
- 400 hours of service – Flo Milano and Richard Nicholson
- 300 hours of service – Alison Abrams and Patricia McGovern
- 200 hours of service – Christer Dreifaldt, Bala Nair, Patti Jo Pflug, Jennifer Weintraub and Catherine Sturgess
- 100 hours of service – Susan Basche, Charlene and Caroline Callahan, Christine and Emma Chivily, Katie McAdams, Lauren Fusek and Brian Boursiquot
- 50 hours of service – Patty Severance, Lila Keating, Sharon Krishnan, Marcy McKee, Kerry Raffaele, Lester and Elaine Sharlach, Sibylle Thaler, Joan Brode, Dionna Carlson, Sarah Davidson, Mary Jane O’Grady, Susan Rosen and Ursula Cotta.
Recognition awards for years of service were presented to:
- 25 years of service – Joan Quick and Denise Widen
- 15 years of service – Jincie Duane, Fran Keleher and Ginny McKay
- 10 years of service – Linda Martin
- Five years of service – Maggie Tensen, Charlene and Caroline Callahan, Christine and Emma Chivily
“Waveny was built by the community to serve the community,” said Bill Piper, Waveny CEO. “All of you are a major support to that mission. We thank you for everything you do to make Waveny the special place it is and a jewel in the town of New Canaan.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.