DANBURY, Conn. – After initially saying its Danbury gun show scheduled for Jan. 5-6 was still on despite the Newtown school shootings, Big Al’s Gun Shows announced on its website the event has been canceled.
Several people expressed outrage about the organizer’s initial plans to hold the gun show in the wake of the tragedy.
“All, the Gun and Knife show that was to be hosted at the Crowne Plaza in Danbury on 1/5 has been cancelled,” Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton wrote on his Twitter feed.
The event was set to be hosted by Big Al’s Silver Bullet Productions, a New York-based company that sells guns, ammunition, tactical clothing and gear, and knives, according to the company’s website.
Two other gun shows scheduled for February and March in New York also have been canceled.
Although an employee at Big Al’s said earlier this week that the Danbury event had not been canceled, the company could not be reached for comment about its decision to call off the show.
Many people contacted Boughton via Twitter, calling on him to stop the gun show from being held just a few miles from Newtown.
“Do the right thing. Speak out against the gun show. Ask them to cancel,” New Canaan Democrats tweeted at Boughton.
If the event were held as planned, children under 10 would have been allowed in for free with an adult.
- 1 Enjoy A Parade On Memorial Day, New Canaan
- 2 Officials Hail New Gates At Notorious Rail Crossing On New Canaan Branch
- 3 Surge Of Warm Weather Heads For New Canaan
- 4 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 5 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Report Says