Updated: WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- The Hutchinson River Parkway has reopened in both directions in Harrison Tuesday afternoon after a fire at the Mobil gas station led to its closure for nearly an hour, according to Kieran O'Leary of the Westchester County Police.
A car driven by a 70-year-old failed to slow down when the driver experienced a diabetic emergency.
The car entered the gas station, slamming into another vehicle and triggered a chain reaction, multi-vehicle accident, O'Leary said.
The car driven by the 70-year-old and the first car it hit were involved in the fire, O'Leary said.
Six people were injured, none of whom have life-threatening injuries, O'Leary added.
The closure, just south of the interchange of I-684 and the Merritt Parkway, is between North Street/Route 127 (Exit 25) and Mamaroneck Avenue (Exit 23), was reported at 11:15 a.m. Both north and southbound lanes reopened shortly before noon.
All traffic was detoured onto Exit 25 (North Street/Route 127) during the closure.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact New Canaan On Wednesday
- 2 Happy Birthday To New Canaan’s Christopher Lloyd
- 3 New Canaan Ranks In SafeWise's Top 10 Of Safest Places In State
- 4 No Injuries Reported In Car Fire On Merritt Parkway In Greenwich
- 5 Stop At New Canaan Peachwave Helps Man Win Free Frozen Yogurt For A Year