STAMFORD, Conn. — The Stamford fire that killed five people on Christmas morning inspired a bill requiring smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in homes — and it is headed to the governor’s desk.
The bill, which was passed unanimously by the state Senate late Wednesday, originated about two months after the deadly blaze when investigators were unable to determine whether the home had working smoke detectors.
"The difference between a home containing working smoke detectors and warning equipment and working carbon monoxide detectors and warning equipment and a home that does not contain theses critical and life-saving measures can mean the difference between life and death," Rep. Michael Molgano, R-144 Stamford, said in a statement in March.
The fire at Madonna Badger’s home began after her boyfriend, Michael Borcina, who was also the contractor renovating the home, removed ashes from the fireplace and put them in the rear of the home, authorities said. Despite the efforts of Stamford Fire and Rescue, Badger and Borcina were the only survivors. The blaze claimed the lives of her three daughters and her parents.
In addition to the state bill, the city is attempting to pass a similar ordinance at the municipal level, but it has been held at the committee level in the Board of Representatives as it awaits a meeting with Director of Public Safety and Health Thaddeus Jankowski. Also, volunteer and professional fire departments have given out many free smoke detectors since the deadly fire.