NEW CANAAN, Conn. – Barbara Burtis Deegan, an 18-year resident of New Canaan, died Dec. 28 at Waveny Care Center in New Canaan. She was 87.
Born April 4, 1925, in Brooklyn, N.Y., Deegan was the daughter of T. Alfred and Faith Walsh Burtis. She graduated from The Ursuline School in New Rochelle, N.Y., and received a bachelor's degree in economics from Trinity College in Washington, D.C.
Deegan became an elementary school teacher and taught at Most Holy Trinity School in Mamaroneck, N.Y., for 20 years. She previously was a resident of Harrison, N.Y.
She is survived by two sons, William Joseph Deegan Jr., of Ossining, N.Y., and Michael Francis (Barbara) Deegan, of Asheville, N.C.; three daughters, Mary Catherine (Richard) Sheils, of Holden, Mass., Gaynor Deegan (Keith) Luke, of New Canaan, and Elizabeth Deegan (Peter) Sackel, of Orlando; a brother, T. Alfred Burtis Jr., of Harrison; two sisters, Constance Burtis McGillicuddy, of Harrison, and Faith Burtis Doyle, of Miami; 10 grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
She was predeceased by a daughter, Faith Ellen Deegan; a sister, Gaynor Burtis Houghton; and her former husband, Dr. William Joseph Deegan.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Matthew Church in Norwalk. Burial will follow at Greenwood Union Cemetery in Rye, N.Y. Hoyt Funeral Home in New Canaan is handling the arrangements.
- 1 New Canaan Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For New Canaan With Snow, Ice In Forecast
- 3 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 4 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward New Canaan, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow