NEW CANAAN, Conn. – Declan Leo Cooney, 23 months old, died suddenly on Friday, June 6, at Norwalk Hospital.
Declan was born in New Haven on June 19, 2012, and was the son of Josh and Jude Cooney of New Canaan.
He died after a traffic accident at his home on June 6. The New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps was among those that expressed sympathy for the boy. “Declan was a beautiful child who was blessed to be a part of your family. We are always here for you,’’ The Corps wrote in a statement.
"Declan was a blessing, funny, happy and joyful, with a smile that could light up the world. He loved his trains and cars, and playing outside with his brother and sisters. He loved music and dancing, and he loved hockey, but most of all, he loved his family. He took delight in their baseball, soccer and lacrosse games; their family dinners; their warm and loving community of friends; all his many cousins, aunts and uncles; and great aunts and uncles," his obituary says. "He was generous with his hugs, and always seemed to know when someone needed one."
In addition to his parents, he is survived by his sisters, Lydon, Keira and Niamh; a brother, Teddy; grandparents Leo and Kathleen Cooney of New Haven; Steve and Cindy Whitaker of Watertown; and his very special friend, his great-grandfather, Edward Walsh.
Interment will be private. Celentano Funeral Home handled arrangements.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward New Canaan, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In New Canaan; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 3 New Canaan Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For New Canaan With Snow, Ice In Forecast
- 5 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield